Cord Blood Transplants
Cancers (including Leukemia)
- FDA Permits Study of Cord Blood Stem Cells for Cerebral Palsy Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg, Director of Duke University’s Pediatric Bone Marrow and Tranplant program, has been authorized by the FDA to conduct a randomized clinical study to test the efficacy of cord blood stem cells in treating pediatric patients with spastic cerebral palsy. “The study could entice more parents to have their child’s cord blood stored in private cord blood banks,” Kurtzberg said.
Cord Blood Banking
- What is Regenerative Medicine?
The next frontier is regenerative medicine. Growing human body parts, essentially from scratch.It’s already happening. Skin. Bladder. More or less “printed” out, layer by layer, with cells blown through an inkjet printer. The great hope is creating and replacing body parts on demand. The U.S. military is all over it. Anthony Atala, director of the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine and chair of the urology department at the School of Medicine at Wake Forest University. He led the first team ever to implant a laboratory-grown organ into a human, a bladder, in 2006.
- Oprah Winfrey and Dr Oz discuss the future of Regenerative Medicine – https://youtu.be/v-Q2kghHwq4
- Researchers Study Cord Blood Stem Cells for Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury Medical News Today – January 6, 2011
- Human Umbilical Cord Blood Cells Found to Enhance Survival and Maturation of Key Brain Cells PhysOrg.com – December 14, 2010
- House Revives Umbilical Cord Blood Bill LifeNews – September 30, 2010 The House of Representatives on Thursday reauthorized the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act, a bill that aims to advance the use of umbilical cord blood in research. The bill would allot $23 million in federal funding for the National Cord Blood Inventory between 2011 and 2014 and $20 million in 2015. The bill also would set aside $30 million from 2011 to 2014 for the Bone Marrow Transplant initiative and $33 million for 2015. Update: On 10-8-2010 the president signed P.L. 111-264, (S 3751), the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act of 2010, to amend the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act of 2005.
- Multiple Sclerosis Patient Walks Following Stem Cell Therapy Fierce BioTech Research – December 2009
- Five Body Parts You May Be Able To Regrow Soon(ish) Popular Mechanics – December 2009
- Lone Star Paralysis Foundation Readies to Find a Cure Austin Business Journal – December 2009
- Retinal Cells From Stem Cells Treat Blindness in Rats The Santa Barbara Independent – December 2009
- StemEx(R) Noted As A Reliable Investigational Product Of An Expanded Population Of Stem Cells Medical News Today – November 2009
- Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Transplant May Help Lung, Heart Disorders Science Daily – November 2009
- Concentrating on Stem Cells Harvard Gazette – September 2009 Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology launches firts undergrad concentration.
- Umbilical Cord Blood as a Readily Available Source for Off-the-Shelf, Patient-Specific Stem Cells NewsWise – September 2009
- Cord Blood: Research Progress and Future Promise AABB News – April 2009
- Lifetime Probabilities of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in the U.S. ASBMT – American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation